Wednesday, May 7, 2008

I HATE GRANITE COUNTERTOP GUYS WHO CAN'T READ A WATCH OR A TAPE MEASURE (AKA MY LITTLE HOME-OWNER RANT)...

UGH!!! I mean, I know that when you contract work out to people (especially where houses are concerned), you have to allow for the fact that things will most likely wrap up after the promised turn-around date, but I think I've officially met my limit with patience.

As you know, we are readying this house for sale, and one of the things we decided to do was upgrade our countertops to granite. A couple weeks ago, our realtor had a few companies come in to give estimates, and decided on one who would give us a decent price for decent stuff. I guess that translates to "We'll give you a deal if you won't bitch at us when we are several hours late, tear up your kitchen and leave items such as cerrated-edge cling wrap on your floor for your daughter to get into, do something to your dishwasher to make it impossible to close without lifting up your countertop, cut the hole for the sink in the wrong spot, don't call you to tell you what happened, and have to come back 3 days later to redo the job - while you are in Florida for a wedding, mind you." I am so glad that I am not going to be living through a full-scale renovation. I know that for sure I would have become a raging alcoholic, been committed, or both.

6 comments:

NatCraft said...

That sucks. But on the bright side, it's really uncomfortable when you want to kill your contractor for screwing something up... and then you have to weigh the issue because your "contractor" is your husband and your father...

The Pink Totebag said...

HA HA! So true - and a lesson I've learned. That's why we've outsourced to begin with... Speaking of which how's your bathroom renovation coming?

What Kate Wore said...

Oh, I do feel your contractor-hell pain. Arrgghh! It really can be the worst feeling to be on the receiving end of their "well, we're here now aren't we?" attitudes. Although we have been blessed in many instances and worked with *great* ones.
Just found your blog and love it! Really loved the ones about the shoes you were looking for and the reality of what you saw. Bookmarking you! Grins & giggles from T.P.P.

The Pink Totebag said...

Welcome, Preppy Princess! And thanks for the reassurances - we've dealt with some good contractors, as well, so it's too bad that the sucky ones stick in your head. Can't wait to get to know you better!

Danielle said...

What happens if you hire contractors and you already are a raging alcoholic? Just curious...

The Pink Totebag said...

HAHA - I guess you just add another cocktail to the rotation???