Friday, December 5, 2008

RANDOM THOUGHTS...

So I am sitting here in my den, and it's 12:30 in the morning. I'm working to print a stationery order for my best friend and business partner Christy, who just had her third adorable baby. She and I timed this whole pregnancy thing perfectly, didn't we? Our newest kids will be close enough in age to hopefully be the best of friends like their mommies, while at the same time there's one of us available to hold down the fort with our company while the other gives birth/recovers. I'm really excited about how her announcement/Christmas card has turned out (I mean, they are such a cute family that coming up with a design and layout was easy):

I want to be able to get these to her tomorrow so that she could send them out ASAP - she's the friend who literally times it so that her card arrives before anyone else's on the first day of December, so it's practically killing her that they are not out yet. She pays no mind that she had a c-section literally nine days ago. I, on the other hand, typically get my act together around the second week in December and have the audacity to print our names on the card rather than sign them myself - even though totally I agree with all those people (like Christy - who made a concession for just this once) who say it's tacky and sends the message that you couldn't be bothered to take the time to write your own name. The truth is, I would do it if I could, but these days the whole idea of finding any more time to put towards Christmas cards could scare me away from sending them at all. Hopefully the recipients can forgive me for this minor indisgretion. But I digress...

Being up so late at night has my mind wandering a bit. I've finished the other designs and layouts I had in the works for this evening, so here's what seems to be helping to keep me up until the printer stops:

1) I really need to get my act together and start thinking about this new baby's room. I have a few ideas, but the poor thing is definitely ranking as "sloppy seconds" on our priority list, which is just plain wrong. Her room is full of boxes from our move that have yet to be emptied or at least relocated, I have no idea what kind of furniture I am going to pick up, and the obsession with which I pursued Caroline's bedding when she was on her way is no longer in existence. I am waiting for an epiphany. As my doctor said at my 28-week appointment on Tuesday, if you have a diaper, a onesie, and a bassinet, you are pretty much set for the first little bit. I know he is right, but I am still determined to not let #2 turn into an afterthought...

2) I am pissed at my Shu Uemura eyelash curler. It has inexplicably broken, a fact that I discovered when I pried it off of my lashes the other day and found them crimped like a bad 80's hairdo. I tried to pick up a new one at Neiman Marcus when I went to my salon nearby to get my hair cut and highlighted yesterday, but they don't sell them there (unbelievably). My eyelash curler is one of my top three items in my make-up case, and the Shu Uemura one really is the best (I have tried them all). Sometimes, I don't agree with the beauty critics when they rave about a certain tool or product (i.e. - What is the BFD with Mabelline Great Lash mascara? I have tried it many times and still don't understand the obsession...), but they are spot-on about this one. My curler is kind of a staple to my morning routine, even when I don't even have time to shower, so it goes without saying that it needs to be replaced - like, yesterday.

See? Even Jodie Foster isn't excited about crimped hair...

3) I'm excited to decorate our house for the holidays. When we bought it, even my Jewish husband Steve thought it had the perfect spot for a Christmas tree (right in the front window of our living room), and couldn't wait to put lights up (even then, the neighborhood just felt like the kind of place where people get into the spirit of things). We buy a real tree, and it's from a stand run by a really nice family at the Catholic church where I grew up and went to grade school. Caroline is getting into the holiday for the first time, which is really cute. I'm trying to temper the whole Santa-which-gets-out-of-hand thing by explaining that it's really a birthday party for a baby named Jesus, but as one of my other best friends Kristy mentioned, she'll probably still miss the meaning and focus on the fact that she might get cake at said party. She knows my two-year-old so well...
Okay, so my printing is done. Now my mind is wandering towards thoughts of sleep. Thanks for staying up with me!

4 comments:

Will said...

"My Jewish husband Steve"...he's the most Christian Jew I know! I think he loves Christmas as much as the high holidays (probably for the presents). One time he was telling me a story: "Remember so-and-so from college? I saw her at Mass with her kids." Wait, what?! You were at Mass?

Lipstick said...

LOL about Maybelline Great Lash mascara! I have tried it at least three times through the years and ended up just throwing it away every time.

Danielle said...

Can I just add a comment on the Shu eyelash curler. I have one as well (because of you). They used to sell replacements for the rubber part so you could keep the metal part and just replace the gunky rubber part. Alas, last time I stopped in Sephora they told me that they didn't do that anymore and I had to buy a whole new curler. What's up with that!?! btw, totally agree that there's nothing special about the green and pink mascara. I really don't get all the excitement.

Christian and Lily's Mommy said...

First of all, love the announcement!

Second of all, I totally agree with you about Maybelline's Great Lash. It's like tar. I hate it.

Third of all, the only place I could find the Shu Uemura curler is Nordies, and Sephora (but I can't stand the one in Mont. Mall) I'm addicted as well.

And lastly, I hear you on the 2nd baby sitch. We still need to move Christian into his "big boy" room, which means moving the guest room somewhere, painting that room, and oh, driving half-way to Michigan to pick-up a dresser for #2's room. And did I mention I'm having this baby is 6 weeks. It sucks. Last time we were so much more on top of things. You would think we were busy or something :)