Monday, March 23, 2009

READING IS FUNDAMENTAL...

Beginning and ending the day with a good book...





...The rest of the day, I would just assume forget - yes, it was THAT kind of a day. Getting used to having to keep up with two is, as many of you know, one of the biggest adjustments you go through as you grow a family. For us, that translated into attempting to get out to our play group this morning - the key word being "attempting," as in we never actually made it there. A couple of snack breaks for the baby, two meltdowns from a toddler that led to two time-outs, a power struggle over who gets to brush said toddler's teeth, and a surprise visit from the company from which we're getting an estimate for a back-up generator for the house added up to not getting out the door. Sigh.

I found myself on the verge of tears on several occasions today. I know in my head that things will get much easier as Molly gets older and on more of a schedule, and that I need to cut myself some slack - I mean, we're only one month into this new little adventure. I want to do it all, be it all, but realistically this is not possible - at least for right now. In the meantime, I have to stop and enjoy some of the little moments I stumble across throughout the day - like Caroline pulling up to Molly's swing this morning and reading her "Thomas the Train," or snuggling up with my girls to read "Elmer" before putting Caroline to bed. Tomorrow's another day, right?

7 comments:

Formerly known as Frau said...

Hang in there...it's only been a month. Soon it will all be routine and you will laugh about your early days. Granted I only had one and so I probably don't no what the hell I'm talking about. You are braver than me. One was my limit. You think toddlers are hard wait, they grow up to be teens! Now that is when it's hard!

QueenBeeSwain said...

even though the hard adjustments, just have to be greatful and in awe of what a special and extraordinary time in your life (and theirs) that this is.

kHm

Carrie said...

Sounds like you need some aunty help! :)

The Pink Totebag said...

Thanks for the words of encouragement, ladies! You are so right, Frau - in a few years I won't know what I was complaining about, especially if it becomes payback time - I was SUCH a fun teenager... :) I do have to stop and smell the roses, QB. It is a pretty special time. Today has been a bit better - although the housekeepers came so that may be why my view is skewed toward the positive! Thank God for their help - once a week, my house looks so lovely! :)

Christian and Lily's Mommy said...

I'm right there with you...it's so hard the second time around because you just want to jump back into your routine that you had with the first one. Just when you think you have it figured out with the first kid, you have to readjust with the second. I'm learning I just need to not have any expectations, and take one day at a time.
love you..

cancersucks said...

Thinking of you! My first two were 16 months apart. Those first three months were a blur...with many meltdowns along the way. Now I look back at the pictures from that time and think how did I do it? But I did. And you will, too. Your hair looks fabulous by the way!

"Óg" said...

How sweet. I LOVE Elmer!