Tuesday, March 3, 2009

REMEMBERING...

I've been away from The Pink Totebag for the past month while our family has endured a few changes - some to be welcomed and celebrated, while others have been exponentially more somber. First of all, I want to thank some of my blog friends - Mom x 2 and Cancer Sucks, in particular - for writing in to check up on us. Yes, we have added a new daughter, Molly, to our family, whose arrival I will share in my next post. We also welcomed the birth of our second nephew, Eli, on February 5th, just two weeks before our little girl was born. Tragically, however, his arrival coincided with the sudden passing of my mother-in-law, Bobbi, while she was away on vacation in Puerto Rico with my father-in-law, Barry, and her cousins. She suffered from a massive aneurism the evening of Eli's birth, and was taken off of life support two days later.


Needless to say, this time for us has been incredibly bittersweet. While the family is thrilled with the new additions of Molly and Eli, we are all heartbroken that we are now without Bobbi. She was so happy to hear that Eli had been born and spent a good part of that day looking at pictures that my brother-in-law had emailed to her. Although she never met Molly, we know that she was just as excited to welcome her into the world.


I don't want to pretend that I can dignify Bobbi's passing with a short little blub on this blog. Words can't describe how her loss has impacted everyone in our family - her three children and husband, in particular. Her absence is palpable, and although we have all pulled together to help each other through this, it's a void that will never be filled.


Bobbi left me two treasures in my life. The first is the gift of my husband. She and Barry raised him to become a person who I couldn't imagine my own life without - a wonderful husband, father, and best friend. The second gift is the love she has shown to our children. Bobbi doted on our daughter Caroline and made her feel as though she was the most special little girl in the world. She spoiled her with gifts - as grandmothers so often do, but more importantly, she spoiled her with her time and attention. We are trying every day to help Caroline remember her Grammy. While she and Molly never met, Bobbi made clear her excitement at her impending arrival. I like to think that maybe they met in passing as Bobbi made her way up to Heaven and Molly made her way down here to us on Earth...


And so, I dedicate this post to my mother-in-law Bobbi. She will be missed by all of us. I hope that she is somewhere, looking over us and smiling, especially as she watches her grandchildren grow...



Bobbi, Barry, and Caroline on the day she was born
Bobbi and Caroline at her first birthday party
Bobbi and Caroline at Passover last Spring

10 comments:

Formerly known as Frau said...

Sorry for your family loss, she sounds like a special lady.

Tippy said...

This made me so incredibly sad. My condolences to you and your husband. I can't imagine his range of emotions as his child is born and his mother passed. What an honor to name your beautiful baby after her.

I named my 2nd son after my grandfather and though he passed a couple of years before my son was born, we talk about him often and I share stories so he will live on in them. I'm sure you will do the same for your girls.

cancersucks said...

God bless you and your family in this time of grief and sadness.

TCP said...

I'm so very sorry for your loss.

Mags said...

I am so sorry for the loss of your MIL.

Her Preppiness said...

Sorry for your loss. Congratulations on the birth of Molli. Glad you are back on the blog scene.

Lipstick said...

I am so sorry to hear about your Bobbi.

The 5 Bickies said...

You wrote this post beautifully and it is a real tribute to Bobbi. What an icredibly difficult time for all of you. I am so glad you were able to incorporate Bobbi's name in to Molly's.

Blessings to you.
Bickies

Jax said...

Much love and hugs to you and your family....

dmmlandcruiser said...

What a rollercoaster ride you have been on. I am very sorry for the loss of what sounds like an incredible wife, mother, grandmother, and woman.

Congratulations on all your happy news! You truly have a special angel watching out for your family!