Monday, April 14, 2008

100 THINGS ABOUT ME (numbers 1 through 50)

Since this is meant to be as much a journal for myself as it is to put my life out there for the masses, I thought it would be fun to do one of these lists. I figured that, in order to keep you on the edge of your seats and coming back to visit (because I know you are just dying to know more about my fabulous life - hee hee), I will break this up into segments. Here are numbers 1 - 50. Oh, and by the way, these are in no particular order...

  1. I've been married for almost 6 years.

  2. I met my husband at Homecoming our senior year in high school, but we didn't start dating until the summer before we left for college.
  3. We are together because, despite the occasional argument, as Steve says, "We share a brain."

  4. I am the oldest of four girls, and we're all within 6 years of each other.

  5. When I was in high school, I wasn't the best driver and got into 2 accidents within 4 months.

  6. I'm a much better driver now, I promise (but just in case, I drive a Volvo Cross Country)!

  7. Said Cross Country was my dream car from the time I was in college - I know, so uncool.

  8. Before my wagon, I had a green Ford Explorer that I called Myrtle the Turtle. That should be self-explanatory.

  9. In high school, I had an unhealthy obsession with my eyebrows.

  10. I'm a democrat.

  11. I love the summer but hate being hot.

  12. I still sleep with my teddy bear sometimes - his name is Ted E. Bear (I know, really clever, right), and I even brought him to the hospital when I had Caroline.

  13. I love the look of a martini but prefer a Captain and Coke any day.

  14. I took one year of Latin which at the time I thought was lame, but it actually helped me on my SATs.

  15. I just got bangs in January for the first time since I was 7.

  16. I got them because they are cheaper than Botox and I am starting to get some laugh lines on my forehead that I am not very happy about.

  17. It took me 3 months to learn how to actually style said bangs so that they didn't look like I belonged in a Debbie Gibson video (I wore alot of headbands during that time).

  18. I owned what my sisters refer to as a "Debbie Gibson" hat when I was in 8th grade, but interestingly enough I wasn't actually a huge fan of her music.

  19. I love to laugh.

  20. Three movies from my childhood that I will never get sick of are The Parent Trap (the original one, not the one with Lindsay Lohan), Troop Beverly Hills, and Girls Just Wanna Have Fun.

  21. Three movies from my adolescence that I will never get sick of are Sixteen Candles, What About Bob?, and Better Off Dead.

  22. I have too many favorites from adulthood to list at this time, but I promise I will try to narrow it down.

  23. I prefer fruity candy like Skittles over chocolate most of the time.

  24. I had to wear a uniform in grade and high school, and didn't mind it.

  25. The quality I most hate is close-mindedness.

  26. The quality I most admire is kindness.

  27. I want to learn to sail one day. Have to figure out the whole wheelchair thing, but I'm sure it will be possible somehow.

  28. I am DEFINITELY an eternal optimist.

  29. I believe in second chances.

  30. I am DEFINITELY not a morning person.

  31. I am usually the last one to leave a party because I never want the fun to end.

  32. This drives my husband crazy, and I am working on it. Sort of. :)

  33. I am terrified of public speaking, except in front of children, which is why I did fine as an elementary school teacher.

  34. My maternal grandmother went to law school when women DIDN'T really do that and then stayed home to raise 7 children because at that time, that's what women DID do, and for that, I admire her.

  35. I love jewelry but tend not to wear too much of it - just my engagement/wedding rings and some diamond studs Steve gave me for my 30th birthday/Caroline's birth.
  36. I have a pretty intense fear of flying.
  37. I don't like to be out of control.
  38. I think #35 and #36 are related.
  39. If God forbid I should ever die before the ripe old age of 100, I want "For A Little While" by Tim McGraw played at my funeral.
  40. I think I shouldn't have started thinking about my fear of flying - see where this takes me?
  41. I used to be a ballet dancer for almost 10 years before my spinal cord injury.
  42. I'm hoping that Caroline will at least be willing to try it out at some point in her childhood.
  43. I was Clara for two years in my ballet company's version of "The Nutcracker."
  44. I co-own a stationery company called Penny-Bear Printing with one of my best friends, Christy.
  45. The company allows me to actually get to do things that I love - draw and doodle and be creative.
  46. I am immensely fearful of change, but having Caroline has helped me learn that no matter what, everything will turn out okay.
  47. I say that I am allergic to broccoli. but actually, I just detest it.
  48. I love shellfish but hate "fish" fish, except maybe as pets.
  49. I could eat Italian every day and never get sick of it.
  50. I hope that one day I will be able to walk again, but if I don't, that's okay, because my life is pretty great as it is.

8 comments:

Tippy said...

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog. Fashion Plates was absolutely my favorite toy when I was a kid. I played with it NONSTOP and occasionally I made up a wacky outfit of tennis shirt (complete with racket) with a long skirt. I wasn't tied to convention!

I think you're my soul-sister. When I read your first 50 things, I could have written many of them. In fact, yesterday I posted my 100 things and I almost posted your #6 and #7. I love my car and we bought it used 2 years ago and my husband said my grin was permanently etched on my face. A volvo wagon has been my dream car since I can remember. Other ones we completely share: #10, #11, #15, #36 and #37 and I'm flying to Italy soon without my babies and I'm soooo nervous about it.

I have 2 boys, but had I had a girl I would have named her Caroline. My all-time favorite girl name.

I've now got your blog on my favorites - trying to figure out if we're related. ;-)

TCP said...

I had to laugh...I have been told that I have an unhealthy obsession with my eyebrows too!

The Pink Totebag said...

Me too - loved to mix them up and put random things together on my Fashion Plates. I'm sure the version these days is digital, which is SO not the same.

That's so funny that we have so much in common - weird, too! After reading your list, I can understand the whole liking-the-name-Caroline thing - I too am fascinated by the Kennedys! If I ever have a boy, I would want to name him Patrick, but my husband and I disagree on that one so I will have to wait and see if he takes pity on me and bends during those 10 long months of pregnancy.

That's so cool that you are headed to Italy! That is one place in the world that I want to visit, but am not sure how it would be with the wheelchair and stuff yet. Keep your eyes out while you are there and let me know what you think about if it might be maneuverable! :) Are just the three of you going or is you husband travelling with you? I'm sure it will go just fine. We're flying to FL next month and I'm dreading it - but probably more for the fact that Caroline will be 21 months and kind of a pain in the a** to get to sit still.

BTW, one more coincidence - I own the flip-flops that you have up for your picture. Eliza B's, right? Talk to you soon!

Tippy said...

My husband and I are going to Italy sans kids. The grammas are coming to our house to wrangle the 2 boys for the week. I'm SO nervous to fly without them and to go to another country, but you gotta live life, right? I'm taking an Italian class and there is a guy in my class who is in a wheel chair. He actually has something wrong with his speech too - I'm not sure what. He's 18yo and his dad actually comes to class with him and they're trying to learn Italian together before their trip this summer. I think they are going to Rome and Florence and Tuscany. I'll ask his dad how that will work. I would think Rome would be hard as it's so many stairs, but it must be doable in some way.

Yes, the flip-flop is Eliza B. I love Elizas!

Tippy said...

Pink Totebag, you've been tagged. So get ready to share more stuff about yourself. Check my blog for details.

The Pink Totebag said...

How funny! Yeah, especially in high school, I was always concerned that they looked like fuzzy caterpillars. Thank God for waxing and Tweezerman tweezers.

Gabi said...

Hi! Sorry I haven't stopped by in awhile! I just have to say I LOVE all 3 of those movies (Parent trap, etc!!!!) I love watching them when John is out of town. I haven't seen girls just want to have fun in a LONG time, but I used to know all the dance steps. big sigh.
Also, I know of a woman in my town who is an olympic sailor and also paraplegic. I can try to put you two in touch to figure the sailing thing out. I'm sure she would love to pass on her knowledge. She also has a child, whose maybe 4 or 5, so maybe she would have some good advice on that front too.
So much fun to read the first 50 things. I knew I liked you! :)

Lori said...

I've enjoyed learning a little more about you!
Thanks for the comment on my blog and for the recommendations on cookbooks, etc! I love Barefoot Contessa too, but most of her recipes are so "not healthy"...her recipes are not for daily use (for us anyway), they're more of an indulgence! :)
Oh, I had to laugh about the bangs too, I keep going back n forth....I grow them out and then cut them off, then grow them out, cut them again! I've done this now for about 5 years!! I can't figure it out! HELP!! haha