Monday, January 28, 2008

A REALLY COOL BOOK LIST...



Today, I was visiting this website called Disaboom, which is a site I check out occasionally to see what's new in the disability culture. I came across a really great kids' book list that I wanted to pass along. It's comprised of a large variety of books about people with disabilities, from wheelchair-users to people who are blind or deaf, as well as people with developmental disabilities like Downs syndrome. The books are sorted into age-appropriate categories, which is so convenient. Some of our family favorites are Mama Zooms by Jane Cowen-Fletcher, that my Aunt Karen gave us and is about a mom who's in a wheelchair, and A Very Special Critter by Mercer Meyer, which one of my sisters gave me a long time ago. There are some other fabulous books on the list that I've read with Caroline or in my classroom with my students when I was teaching elementary school. If you're looking to change up the whole bedtime-story rotation, be sure to check these out - they are great for ALL kids!

2 comments:

Christian and Lily's Mommy said...

Jenny, I love the book list. I'm planning on sharing it with the DHOH Moms that I have met and will most likely cross-post on our blog. What a great resource!
THANKS!

Gabi said...

What a great suggestion! I will have to check the list out for my boys. we are always looking for new books to read...