Sunday, January 4, 2009

THE BABY'S ROOM (AKA MY NEW YEAR'S RESOLUTION)...

As I headed into the new year, I swore to myself that January was going to be entitled "Get Ready for #2," starting with making some decisions about the new baby's room. Well, like clockwork, I woke up on New Year's Day in pretty much a panic - or should we call it nesting mode?! I headed straight to Pottery Barn Kids and finally made some decisions about the direction in which I want to head.

Basics-wise, we needed to buy a new crib, since we've decided to keep Caroline in hers for as long as humanly possible. I know her days in it are limited, but I have to say I find it to be such a relief that I can keep her in some sort of socially-acceptable cage for just a bit longer. :) We have a table that I am using as a changing table (the traditional ones aren't open underneath, which makes them tricky for my wheelchair), and Caroline's new room has built-in drawers, which means the armoire we used in her nursery at the old house is up for grabs. The swivel glider that's currently in the corner of her room is going to move into the baby's room, as well.

As much as I've been complaining about getting myself in gear about this room, now that I'm working on some of the creative parts of it, I'm getting excited! Caroline's nursery was somewhat preppy, with a cute seersucker patchwork bumper and a variety of pastels. Weirdly enough, I fell in love with this bedding that I think resembles Anthropologie a bit more than Ralph Lauren. I have more decisions to make about window coverings (I'm leaning towards blackout shades with simple white drapes), paint color, rug, and any additional storage we might need, but I'm feeling pretty good about where things are headed! Here are some of the purchases or ideas I've had so far...


BEDDING
I decided on the Brooke quilt and bumper, but decided to forgo the sheets, bedskirt, etc. that went with it - it was all a bit too much and I'm certain it would have had emotional and/or psychological ramifications should #2 have had to stare at it every day for the next few years (hee hee). We're just going to go with some plain jersey sheets and a solid bed skirt that coordinates.



FURNITURE
We're using Caroline's swivel glider, but it's not covered in blue. Instead, it's the green chenille that you'll see in the swatch below (it just needs a really good cleaning!).




I bought the Kendall crib (below) on New Year's day - it was on sale for $300 less than it is usually priced! They had to do a little bit of searching to find it in white, but my girls at PBK can work magic, it seems. The Berkley armoire that we purchased for Caroline's nursery is also going in the baby's room.



ACCESSORIES AND DECOR
I just thought these little coordinating owls were too cute. They were also on sale, so I picked them up, too! Caroline thinks one is the big sister and one is the little sister. The hatching chick art (below) is something I'm debating, but I don't know what we're painting the room yet, so it might just be too much green. We'll see!

6 comments:

Formerly known as Frau said...

Great choices! Love the owls and I don't think its too much green.

TCP said...

Cute! We have the Kendall crib from PBK and love it. I'm making the leap to the big bed for TCP Toddler and reusing the crib for baby #2...wish me luck!

The Pink Totebag said...

Thanks for the feedback, ladies! TCP, glad to hear you like the crib so much - we love Caroline's but they don't make it anymore and Kendall is so similar! I will definitely keep my fingers crossed for you about the big kid bed - please let me know how it goes because we'll be there before you know it! :)

The 5 Bickies said...

You have really pulled together a great room that your baby is sure to love!

Danielle said...

OWLS???? A good thing ;)

Love the decor!

The Pink Totebag said...

Thanks, D! I thought of that too when I was picking it out, and I think Steve even mentioned, "Isn't that the Chi-O mascot?" How he remembered that I have no idea. :)